Sunday, June 03, 2007

Omote, ura, to kenkounashi (Forward, backward, and no change)

In life you have three options and two directions to go in; forward, backward, and stay where you are. The third isn't really an option, yet it's sometimes the most desirable. In aiki, the same is true. In the daito ryu techniques, there is omote and ura for everything, and we have been diligently working to finish off the ikkajo techniques. I think it's going well. Last night I had a dream I was cagefighting and broke a girl's arm with the ura version of ippondori. What can I say? I've been watching way too much Ultimate Fighter. I'm hoping after this next weekend of insanity comes more clarity and maybe even a definitive rank in aiki.

I have done a lot of thought after last wednesday when I got my stripe on my purple belt. I do no longer want to be concerned with problems involving brats. In the end, they don't pay for my classes, so they shouldn't ruin it for me. I want to concentrate on reviewing techniques from now on. Despite my miserable journal entries, things have been going well. I am now a yonkyu, which means light at the end of the tunnel. I know have approximately two years left before I go up for my blackbelt test, so I want to be ready. Given the fact that there are so many brown belts may actually work to my advantage. I can almost guarantee a couple will quit, and I won't have to worry about any junior ni-dan tests next year because doppleganger will be making the switch to the adult book, and Prince Valiant is lazy. So then, it is all me from now on. I want to help Verizon Guy get up to test too, sometime. If he gets attention from Head Sensei, I can piggy-back on the review sessions, which also means less waiting time for me.

So, push forward. That is the lesson. I don't want to be the same rank forever, and I don't wanna be stuck with all the kids behind me, either.

No comments: