Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Anxious and chubby

I have noticed how much more I am snacking since finding out I'm testing for sho-dan. Nervousness has set in since turning into September, and the more it draws near, the more worries I found. Here is one:

About a year ago, I posted a question on the BS board. The question was about obi knots, and what kind I should do. The answers were varied, and the response level what everything from "here's 20 websites." to "what kind of cookie-cutter dojo do you go to?" and I wasn't very happy. Not only was my intellegence insulted, so was my schooling. I decided that comparing myself to the knowledge-bases of others was unhealthy, and simply set out to grow my own. I learned how to make a kaku obi, a very formal obi that took me several websites to figure out. I learned a jiu-jitsu obi knot too. I also kept an eye open to how others tied theirs. Head sensei ties a flat fancy knot. New dad and son have yet to buy one- they have a karate belt (now keep in mind, this is the pair that have been practicing for 4-7 years). I went to a clinic and saw one newbie tie a kaku obi, and another tie it off in a simple knot. The moral of this story is two-fold; (1)one should tie it however is comfortable to them, and (2)little issues like this one is not worth worrying about.

No comments: