Thursday, August 24, 2006

Yummy food and new kata

So my test date's been finalized- September 16th will be brown belt kid's karate test and an aiki clinic, and the 17th is my iai test and an iai clinic. No price yet-please lemme find a new job soon!

This past week was crazy. I've been reviewing kumitachi mostly in iai. Monday I was paired up with a kid 1/3 my height. We spent half the class listening in on the teachers talking about how they were going show our ranks on our hakamas. Since we have a few new people and the class demographic is either high-rank kid or new adult, I guess now it's important to show off your "color". That's so wrong for iai, anyway. Why can't we just be kyu ranks like we have been? Well, anyways, the kyus will now wear little stripes of colored cloth (put on with velcro backing for easy "upgrades") on their right hip to show off rank. If I were to get one now, I would have a brown stripe with two little white horizontal lines indicating I'm an ikkyu, or a brown belt with stripe in iai. A bit tacky, yet it's small, so I don't mind. Understand that? This is where it gets weird. Since I'll hopefully be a sho-dan, I will get a red stripe embroidered on my hakama. So, none of the previous discussion pertains to me. Heh.

Then this week for some reason kids have been going nuts. NUTS! What sane child thinks it's a good idea to tag-team on his 5 year old brother in an attempt to pile drive him? Or, what sane child thinks ro-sham-bo is a sensible game to play before class? And so, head sensei misses these two instances, and catches one brother riding the other brother around like a pony across the dojo floor. Oh, and did I mentionall of this crap was taking place in about two minutes? Crazy brownies and greenies.

Oh, I learned ichi-bo on monday! Yay! I got to spend all of monday on it. It took three teachers- one to start it, one to try remember how it went, and one to point out all the things I missed right at the end of class. I'm so used to a bokken, that the extra feet of wood throws me off. I want a bo now though. I must perfect this kata *obsessiveness sets in*

Today was my birthday! I went with my family to Tokyo Seoul, which was very good. I even had ramune! I got pleasure too in watching my family try to eat with chopsticks. I feel good. If you live in the Syracuse area, I highly recommend it. I'm going back for the fried ice cream! Tokyo Seoul

No comments: