Thursday, July 02, 2009

What happens when you hit a brick wall

I have extreme issues with what is going on with the school right now. But finally, as some sort of sun that has come out from parting clouds, I understand the problem that has haunted me for the past few months- it's not issues with my school. It's issues with my style. Period.

I'm gonna come out and say some really shocking things. Head Honcho sensei is an idiot, living among vultures who want to suck his style dry when he's gone. It is clear just by the way that aiki is run, that he has no clear vision with what he wants to do with aiki in general. Other head senseis will agree with every ADD-induced idea he has because they don't wanna make waves by suggesting that such ideas could be BAD. When I joined this style, there were no junior black belts, no hakama-wearing kyu ranks in aiki- belts in aiki!- and it took you a whole year to get your first rank in iai and aiki. All of this shit went down in the past three or so years, and I think it's largely due to Head Honcho sensei being sick and not taking care of his health. I don't doubt that the man is/was a great martial artist, but he is at best a disorganized mess. Sword sensei once expressed to me his worries about the future of this style when Head Honcho sensei passes away, and I believe after observing these changes and how other greedy people in the organization behave, that there will be none.

I think Head Sensei is well-meaning, but gets side-tracked easily. He is trying to teach 50+ people by himself, primarily because the black belts don't think they owe him a damn thing. He deals with the pushiest professional parents that I have ever seen, demanding to know when their kids will get ranked "so they can bring cameras." And the kids are so mouthy to us, to each other, to their own parents. But they get ranked.

Okay, enough bitching. I don't spit such things without at least offering how to fix them. I have been watching a lot of Trading Spouses recently, and although it's really hokey (you wouldn't wanna be married to either wife) , I like the rule change idea. Here is mine, for my school only. The rest of the style can sit on it.

NEW RULES
  1. Classes will start on time.
  2. If you miss the bowing in, you must do 25 pushups before asking for permission to join class.
  3. No more belt testing fees. You pay for the belt when you earn it. That's it. No more three-four month wait either. If you earn it in two, good. If it takes you two years to be worthy, even better.
  4. In exchange for # 3, students nor parents of students will not ask about getting ranked.
  5. If you are more than 10 minutes late to class or have to leave class more than 10 minutes early, DON'T come to class.
  6. Everyone must help with chores before practicing kata- whatever the chore chart says, you do. Sweep the floor. Stock the restroom. Wipe the mirrors.
  7. You will not demand of your sensei to teach you new kata, especially when it is not in your rank.
  8. Everyone warms up together.
  9. Juniors teach juniors (with adult supervison). Adults teach adults.
Now that's out of my system, I will fill you in on what has happened. Obviously I did not test for ni-dan on the 20th, via some transportation problems which is another matter entirely. Howveer I am not too terribly broken up about it. In fact, I feel good. My foot is almost healed, and I have been concentrating on aiki. It's been fun throwing and been thrown again. And also Tanabata is coming up. Nothing like candy, green tea and dorayaki to brighten the mood. It feels good to not have to worry anymore. I kinda learn what I want to now. And the people I like, I hang with, and people I don't- screw 'em.

No comments: