Friday, May 18, 2007

The Evil Stepsister

Why is it no kid has discipline anymore? I returned to class on Wednesday and to my shagrin, I was assigned to teach...again. How many brown belts are there? And why can't they teach? Oh, yeah- because they're brats. But I digress.

I taught an ensemble of white, yellow and orange belts who were, of course, all over the place in skill level. So, I ran them through combinations; rear to front stance, horse stance to front stance. Basic stuff, bork. After about fifteen minutes, everyone was tired and wanted a drink. It's funny when you release them for a drink...they vacate like bats. The sad thing is stamina seems to be better in the white belts than the orange. One in particular I'll call Punky Brewster kept rolling her eyes at me like I was being the evil stepsister. Sorry I can't let you eat chocolate all class. And another kid whom I assigned to help the white belts go over a kata she had for a long time forgot the kata and instead they sat around. Bork.

I still had better luck with them than my teachers had with the others. Stupid brown belts still don't know their kata which they've had for months. It's not like they are seven either, they're 10-15 roughly. It's like asking them to practice for five minutes on their own is too much to ask.
My dopplegagger is starting sai kata. I an envious, nyo. It's not in her requirements for junior sho-dan, so I assume she is doing it for competition. She missed the last one, so now she is trying out this on a bigger competition- where she'll probably get squashed by the likes of that professional jackass kid. Sigh.

Let's see what else I missed- one of the brownies got his first stripe, a kid got his orange belt, other than, nothing. The mother of the little senseis was prompt to brag about how the older one has started up yet another sport *roll eyes*. And then, there is the matter of class tomorrow. And guess who has to teach it? Yup, me. Aiki sensei may or may not be around, Verizon Guy will be working the weekend, most of the teachers and sword kids are going to the iai clinic at our sister dojo. I am starting to hate karate.

No comments: