Thursday, April 05, 2007

Looking backward while stuck in first gear

It is cherry blossom season again, and as I always do on this time of year, I post a picture of cherry blossoms with my blog. It's a special thing for me- sight and scent are tied with strong memories of Japan (although I was never there when it bloomed), and how I miss the people I've met there. I keep a cherry blossom scent perfume around even though I am allergic to it.

The site of cherry blossoms at my Dad's workplace (and now on my mom's new tree in the backyard) also means it is once again time for the tournament. I have probably got to take it easy this year with my hip still healing- finally I am done with the chiropractor- and limit myself to the empty hands kata and the weapons kata. As I get up in rank, the number of competitors dwindles down but they get much tougher. As much as I want to do more, my hip won't allow me to prepare properly.

Alas, onto other matters. They changed the aiki book AGAIN! Head honcho sensei got so much grief from the other blackbelts about the new book that he went back to the old system- meaning, that now I will be going for brown patch instead of red. The karate class is beginning to finally level off, with the exodus of some greenies and white belts. One of Tank's kids quit, and so did a rather annoying greenie. Even so, a family of 3 (could be four, not sure yet if he is related) has signed up. The oldest is also trying aiki (let's see how long this lasts). I was in charge of them yesterday, and we went over things like the chamber, basic blocks, punches, and kicks. The two boys were trying to see if they could kick the Wavemasters over. I invited them to try (just as long as they had enough sense to curl their toes back so they didn't crush them). The oldest was trying to not miss the wavemaster entirely, and just my luck the little girl missed the baby-sized Wavemaster and kicked the plastic base instead. So I ran around for 5 minutes looking for the ice packs. The irony in this situation is I taught these guys how to be polite, bow, and listen to "matte" command and when I went to cross the floor with the injured little girl, head sensei told his two sparring people to stop repeatedly and they KEPT GOING ANYWAY! So much for etiquette and awareness.
This problem is nothing new. Finally, the teachers have had enough, and are refusing to give attention to anyone who disobeys. The "advanced class" that goes on during aiki has dwindled to 4 people. Rankings have slowed down to a halt. And some, as I have said, have left. Problem is, how do you fix a problem kid when he's already a blackbelt? *Grumble*....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.