Saturday, January 13, 2007

You do know you have a brain, don't you?




Not much has really happened as far as martial arts is concerned. I've been thinking about getting a job, and school starting back up. Verizon Guy earned his stripe, and that I am happy. We are in desperate need of an adult brownie to keep those little tikes in line. I'm also working on designing a hanko for certificate signing. I figure I'll need it when we have the black belt (*cough* Dan) meeting at the Hombu at the end of the month. It's looking nice, though it's proving to be a lot harder than I thought. Here it is:


I've been wondering about maybe getting purple belt before the month is up, but now it doesn't look likely- there is sooo many kids. Head sensei has a pattern for ranking- first he ranks the kids from brown belt down, then the adults. Then, he'll either pause for waza work or spend time preparing the next in line for black belt. It appears he's in a pause period- the question is what kind? Prince Valiant doesn't like showing up for class more than once a week, and spring sports are starting up.


On another subject entirely, kids are a lot dumber than they used to be. I'd like to think that I think so because I'm an adult now? No! Kids are just freaking stupid. I was asked the other day if swords could cut bricks. And I said, "Probably not, but when the sword bounces back, it'll definitely cut your face." The kid thought about it for a moment, unable to get the subtlety of my sarcasm, and turned to another kid, who upped the ante with "Yeah, I saw that on Youtube so it must be true." Sometimes, I feel like I have failed as a teacher.


I like teaching kids, though. They are fun, attentive for the most part, and learn quickly. Then they become pre-teens and ask "Why?" or say, "but Sensei X does it this way." And then, they become teens, and some time before that stage, all their intelligence is sucked away by TV, video games, and dumb films. I think kids have just lost the ability to stop and think before they open their mouths.

No comments: