Monday, January 14, 2008

Bork! The Legend of Batta-kun begins!


I have started bringing my friend from school into martial arts. I call him Batta (Grasshopper) as he is my student. I brought him to class on Saturday, hoping he would like it as much as I do. He always wanted to do karate, apparently. But when I told him about aiki and iai, he wanted to do that too! Crazy little grasshopper.

Batta is like a smaller version of Tank- he's a bit skinnier and not as tall but built the same way. He says he wants to be a little more sculpted (don't we all?) so I recommended he start going to class with me and see if he liked it. I was kinda nervous- he is the first person I have ever taken to meet Head Sensei and however he behaved, I knew would reflect onto me. Luckily, Batta is okay.

He really likes aiki. He was worried about how throwing would feel on his back but we told him to just remember to bend his knees and look up so he'd never have to strain it. He really liked the throws, and he's got good knees, which means he'll be Head Sensei's favorite uke in a few months. I taught him how to roll and fall. He even did a side fall when I accidentally threw him once (which surprised the crap out of him- he didn't think I could pick him up). He was less than enthuised with karate. He doesn't like kicking, and who wouldn't when you're as tall as he is? A guy his size would probably just pummel someone with one punch anyways. Doppleganger really drilled him on kick and horse stance, which he doesn't like either. Iai was funny. I bet Batta he would hit the ceiling and he did- twice. He also hit Goth Kid, who was trying to teach him WAY too much information. I was disappointed I couldn't teach him for two classes but I was watching him. He's got a long road ahead of him. I like Batta. I hope he stays with us.

No comments: